Site Meter The Orator's Education: Tangible Tangent?

Friday, September 19, 2008

Tangible Tangent?

"I was just guessin’, At numbers and figures, Pullin’ the puzzles apart
Questions of science, Science and progress, Do not speak as loud as my heart"

In all my classes, I get to use my brain. Sin 45* comes in, and 1 over radical 2 goes out. Stories analyzed, logic tested, formulae derived, but it's all on paper. In philosophy, we keep looking at different thoughts and fallacies, and then.......I leave the room. un-shaken and stable, I live my life....my real life. God didn't create a hypothetical universe, he created a real one. Thoughts were made to have consequences, so when the consequences are stripped down to the abstract, the thoughts are "meaningless, a chasing after the wind."

I tore down a set for an outdoor show earlier in the week, and it felt great. My mind was calculating where screws were, how each board, each beam was assembled. but it wasn't abstract, as I then tore it down. I climbed up that ladder, tore those shingles, pried that plywood. The errors in my calculations were real, and I could feel them, tangible. The cuts and bruises on my hands speak of my errors, but the pile of lumber in the shop speaks of my success. That, to me, is far greater an achievement than a 95/100.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed the last part, about striking Picnic. You really summed up what I haven't been able to explain to my parents about why I love being at Fine Arts and care less then I use to about school. It just feels like so much more.

    ReplyDelete