Site Meter The Orator's Education: Nothing to say

Friday, December 12, 2008

Nothing to say

Have you ever had nothing to say? It's amazing just how much nothing a person is capable of saying in one conversation. Don't believe me? Just ask someone how they're doing. "Fine" "Pretty good" 98.37% of the time that means nothing. Wait a minute, is nothing nothing, or something? "Well nothing, of course!", but so often it seems like something that we respond that we're "doing nothing" or "thinking nothing." How in the world can you think nothing and respond, "nothing"? Something is always on your mind, even when it's nothing. And when you're fine, you're not. And I've just said a whole lot of nothing. Isn't that quite something?

2 comments:

  1. I totally know what that's like. I've taken to just responding "fine" when people ask how I am because over half the time I can tell they aren't really paying attention to my answer. So it doesn't matter how I respond, so I respond with a nothing-answer.
    Whats more amazing than *saying* nothing things is how little the hearer thinks about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HATE it when people say they're thinking nothing. It's 99.9% a cop out to really talking about what's on their mind, good or bad. It's probably either embarrasing or they're ashamed of whatever it is and don't want you to think badly of them.

    ReplyDelete